Domestic abuse/violence and dating abuse/violence can be physical, emotional, psychological, and/or sexual. They can happen to anyone of any race, age, sexual orientation, economic level, education level, religion, or gender.
The following are startling and alarming statistics on domestic abuse/violence and dating abuse/violence in the United States:
- Every 9 seconds a woman in the U.S. is assaulted or beaten.
- 1 in 3 women has been physically abused by an intimate partner.
- 1 in 4 women aged 18 and older will suffer from domestic violence in their lifetime.
- Domestic violence is most common among women between the ages of 18-24.
- 1 in 5 women is a victim of sexual assault during college.
- 57% of teens know someone who has been physical, sexually, or verbally abusive in a dating relationship.
Sources: National Coalition Against Domestic Violence; The National Domestic Violence Hotline; Domestic Violence Statistics
The power of a lipstick, healing victims of domestic and dating violence.
“The simple act of applying a little lipstick can help a survivor of domestic violence face the world with just a little more confidence and optimism. Your kindness is appreciated more than you know.”
The Bernard House Shelter
Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Center